5 Little Changes That Make A Big Difference When Selling Your Home in Lake Placid, NY
The process of selling a house can be daunting. To ensure a smooth transaction, it’s important to lay the groundwork for success. Even if you are not ready to sell now, getting a jump start on this list of projects can help ensure your home is ready to list when the time is right.
Although everyone’s house is different and everyone’s project list will be unique, our experience has shown that focusing on these 5 things will have the biggest impact on price and time on the market when selling your home.
- Organize Before listing your home, be sure to thoroughly go through every room and space in the house and declutter as you go. Decluttering will help make your home appear larger. Having less stuff in a space will make your home seem bigger. It also helps potential buyers imagine themselves living there, which may lead to better offers. Additionally, it will make your inevitable move easier when the time comes.
- Repairs We encourage all potential home sellers to hire a handyman before they put their home on the market. Together, you can walk through every room of the house and identify potential repairs or small improvements that can be made. From touching up paint on walls and replacing hardware to fixing your light fixtures or repairing drywall. Resolving these minor issues before listing your home can save you money in the long run. Many homebuyers will conduct their own home inspection before closing on the house, and often, if there are things that need to be fixed, the buyer may ask for concessions or reduce their offer to offset the costs of fixing these things themselves.
- Chimney Inspection Have your chimney inspected – The National Fire Protection Association recommends that chimneys, fireplaces, and vents be inspected at least once per year. Proper cleaning and inspection ensure that your chimney is clear and that there are no damages or issues that need repair. Repairing minor issues before they grow or your potential buyer does a chimney inspection can prevent a deal from possibly falling through.
- Structural Inspection Get a structural inspection done in case there is something unseen and you can get it fixed ahead of it. Structural issues can wreak havoc on your home. They can cause cracked walls, sloping floors, and sagging roofs, leaving your residence vulnerable to pests and water damage. Before getting ready to sell your home, it is advisable to get a structural inspection done in case there is something unseen. In the case of issues, you get them resolved and fixed ahead of listing your home to save yourself time and money down the road.
- Curb Appeal Good curb appeal makes your home stand out from the rest. Improving a home’s curb appeal will add value to your property and help it sell faster. The great news is that curb appeal can be easily improved with some relatively minor adjustments. For example, take good care of your grass, landscaping, and trees. Landscaping improvements can be as simple or as complex as you want to make them. In addition to the landscape, you should look at your property’s physical condition namely the roof, siding, exterior, front door, and porch. A dirty exterior is not something that should be ignored. Whether it means power washing a deck, painting the exterior, or taking on roof repairs, it is guaranteed to pay off in the long run.
Our experienced agents can help guide you and make recommendations on what what will matter most when preparing your home for sale, often saving you valuable time and money in the process. We are happy to walk through and take a look with you even if you are not sure if you are quite ready to put your house on the market – better to get a list ahead of time that you can accomplish slowly over time.
Give us a call today to schedule a walk-through with one of our experienced agents. 518-418-7747